Healthy Snacks Quinoa-Pizza-Bites

Published on September 19th, 2013 | by Miss Be Fit

Quinoa Pizza Bites | Recipe

This delectable snack will certainly keep you in your taste buds happy!!

Quinoa Pizza Bites

Makes ~40 bites
2 cups cooked quinoa
2 large eggs
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
1 cup chopped pepperoni slices (~1/2 of a 7 oz bag)
1/2 tsp seasoning salt
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp dried crushed oregano
pizza sauce for dipping
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix together all ingredients, except pizza sauce, in a medium mixing bowl.
3. Distribute mixture into a greased mini muffin tin, filling each cup to the top (1 heaping Tbs each), and press down gently to compact.
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
Nutritional Information for 5 bites per MY FITNESS PAL: Calories – 175, Fat – 10g, Protein – 9g, Fiber – 2g, Calcium – 10mg, Carbs – 12g
Replace or remove the pepperoni and this is easily vegetarian as well!
(via HEYFRANHEY)

About the Author

is a Yoga Instructor and personal trainer, the creator of Miss Be Fit TV, a new mix of traditional yoga and interval training. Her YogaRock System is a proven 12 minute daily workout routine, that will tone you up and allow you to build and maintain the muscle you have always wanted.

48 Responses to Quinoa Pizza Bites | Recipe

1. Laura says:

These look great! Do you serve the sauce on the side?

2. eric schram says:

These look and sound yummy! We love cooking with Quinoa I have use my rice cooker to make it and have added Salsa, Mango hot pepper tea, Jerk/Teriyaki marinade and many other things very versatile and healthy food

• Miss Be Fit says:

Good stuff Eric! Quinoa is just one of those foods that you can add to everything! Easy & healthy. Have you tried making a quinoa tabouleh? That’s my latest addiction;) I basically, just substitute quinoa for the couscous in any tabouleh recipe. YUM! 😉

3. Denise wright says:

I presume that we need to use cooked quinoa for this recipe?

4. Jennifer says:

Hi! I made these and they’re great! Thx for the recipe.

5. Lori says:

I’m curious if you could substitute the egg for something else? Maybe a flax egg?

6. Debra Goguen says:

I immediately was attracted to this recipe as I was hoping it might be Vegan

• Miss Be Fit says:

Hi Debra! It does call for an egg, but I usually substitute with a ‘flax egg’: 2 TB of ground flax, add some water to get a gelatinous egg-y consistency, let sit for 5 mins. You may have to fool around to get the right consistency but this always works for me;)) Good luck!! xo

• Miss Be Fit says:

Hey Debra! I too am vegan, and this can be easily adapted by using vegan mozza cheese if you can get your hands on it, and substituting 2 Tbs of chia or flax seeds for the egg. I skip the pepperoni altogether, but you could use a vegan version. Cheers! xo

7. char says:

what temperature os the oven suppose to be on??

8. Melissa Hill says:

Have you tried freezing the left overs? If so how did you re warm them?
    Looks delicious.
    Melissa

• Miss Be Fit says:

Hi Melissa!! Actually, I haven’t tried freezing them…(they never seem to last around here!lol) But I would try taking them out a few hours early, then re-heating in a toaster oven or your big oven. If you use a microwave, I’m sure you could thaw them in that. (I’m not a huge microwave fan and tend to reheat most things in my toaster oven;) Good luck! Let me know how it goes! xo

9. Jocelyn says:

Where can I get your videos ? Your workout sounds fantastic

• Miss Be Fit says:

Hi Jocelyn! Nice to hear from you. Right now, all links to my videos are here on the site. Just click on the video links and that should take you to Youtube;)) Let me know if you have any problems, should work. Thanks for checking in and a big Happy New Year to you!
      xo

10. Alex says:

How many people would 40 bites feed if I wanted to make this for dinner?

11. Devra says:

How much sodium in these, and what could I do to make them low sodium? They look divine.

• Miss Be Fit says:

Hi Devra,
      I’m not certain of the sodium count. This can be controlled by using low sodium cheese though, and skipping the seasoning salt. I skip the pepperoni altogether because I don’t eat meat, and that cuts down on sodium as well. As for that, these are relatively low. Hope this helps;) xo

12. June says:

is there a vegan variation?

• Miss Be Fit says:

Hi June! I’m vegan and I use a vegan mozza ‘cheese’ and it works pretty well. For the eggs, I used 2 Tbs of chia seeds set aside in water to gel, you can also use flax seeds;) And of course I leave out the pepperoni, I know some people use the vegan version but I find there are too many additives and sulfates in ‘mock’ meat;) Hope this helps!
      xo

13. heather says:

How would I make theses dairy free?

• Miss Be Fit says:

Hi Heather! I would use a vegan mozza cheese if you can find them, if not try adding 2 cups of red or white kidney beans in place of the cheese. Won’t taste the same but still super yummy and will hold together;) xo

14. Louise says:

This recipe looks scrumptious…do you know if red quinoa can be used?

Thanks :)

15. Cheryl says:

We make these all the time without precooking the quinoa (though we do pre soak overnight for easier digestion). We also pop all the ingredients into a food processor to save time. vegans should try Daiya “cheese”.

16. Anne says:

can people not read, they ask if it should be cooked and you had already said cooked, sauce on the side as you already said and the temp of the oven you already said dah dah

17. Ashley says:

Just finished making these and couldn’t figure out why I only got 8 out of the recipe. I definitely misread ‘mini muffin tin’ still turned out pretty yummy though!

18. rob says:

Any chance you could post the nutrition information? I would like to try this.

19. Marcia says:

These came out tastey. But mine came out crumbly. What did I do wrong? Oh I got close to the 40 count.

• Miss Be Fit says:

Hey Marcia! I’m not sure why they crumbled. hmm…perhaps you have a super efficient oven and they baked too quickly? If you try again, try at a lower temperature. If you made with eggs, be sure your eggs were large enough. If you made with egg substitute, maybe add a wee bit more. The other thing I make sure of is that my cooked quinoa is nice and moist and not dried out. I hope this helps! xo

20. Lorna says:

I made these today. I mixed in the sausage meat from one link of mild Italian sausage and also chopped green pepper. I did have to bake them for a little bit longer and would bake them at a bit higher heat next time, but I think that my oven isn’t as hot. They are absolutely delicious and will definitely be making them again soon! Thanks for the great recipe.

21. Dana says:

Can these be served cool? I am curious if they would be good to send with the kids for lunches at school (they wouldn’t have an option to reheat)?

22. Sheila says:

I am wanting to try…is it 2 cups quinoa before it is cooked or after it is cooked? I know it says cooked but it is a big difference if it is before you cook the quinoa or after it is cooked. What do you recommend greasing the muffin tins with?Thank you.

23. maddieg says:

I would cut out the pepperoni. They cannot be deemed as “healthy” with any type of processed meat in them. Processed and cured meats are high in nitrates which have been proven to be major carcinogen (linked to colon cancer). So these are only healthy if that aspect is omitted. Otherwise they seem like a great idea!

24. lindsey says:

These look horrible lol

25. Jen says:

I was thinking of substituting bacon for the pepperoni, do you think I would have to use cooked bacon?

26. KristinK says:

Just made these for lunch and they were a hit with both my toddler and husband. Thanks so much!!

27. LIN-Z says:

If you replace regular pepperoni with butterball turkey pepperoni, you’ll cut the fat considerably! it only contains 2g of fat per 10 slices and i challenge anyone to try it and not like it-you won’t be able to tell the difference except it’s less greasy!